Satanism: The Basics
Keep in mind that Satanism is a highly personal and individualistic religion/philosophy and should you ask 100 Satanists about what Satanism is, you would probably get 150 replies. This is what I have discovered to ring true with most Satanists though.
- Satanism is the belief that you are your own god.
The worship of Satan is not a prerequisite to be a Satanist. Some Satanists do believe in Satan as a literal entity, some regard Satan as a disguise for a pre-Christian god i.e. Pan. Others view Satan as a myth and some believe in Satan as a symbol of personal pride. There are atheist Satanists, polytheistic Satanists and so forth. The key element of Satanism, however, is the worship of oneself.
- Satanists strive for excellence and indulgence
Most Satanists strive to become the most evolved and powerful version of themselves as physically possible. Satanists are, by nature, elitists. Satanists believe in the concept of free will, most with the addition of “with freedom comes responsibility”. Most Satanists strive to be as honourable as possible, and expect nothing less from those they encounter. They will also involve themselves in the carnal pleasures of being a human being without any inhibition.
- Satanists can use magick to achieve their goals
Just like witches and Neopagans, there are Satanists who use magick to achieve their goals. Satanists tend to work with the darker forces of nature and magick as they don’t follow any sort of moral code concerning magick as, let’s say, a Wiccan does. But just like all Wiccans doesn’t use magick, neither do all Satanists. Those who do, believe it to work in the same way any other witch or magician would: manipulation of energies/forces to influence a physical or psycho-spiritual outcome.
- Satanists have no common set of commandments
If there’s anything that Satanism emphasizes, it is one’s own individuality. There are no set rules or moral codes to live by. There are however a few general ideas known as the Nine Satanic Statements.
- Satan represents indulgence, instead of abstinence
- Satan represents vital existence, instead of spiritual pipe dreams
- Satan represents undefiled wisdom, instead of hypocritical self-deceit
- Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it, instead of love wasted on ingrates
- Satan represents vengeance, instead of turning the other cheek
- Satan represents responsibility to the responsible, instead of concern for psychic vampires!
- Satan represents man as just another animal, sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all-fours, who, because of his “divine spiritual and intellectual development,” has become the most vicious animal of all!
- Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification!
- Satan has been the best friend the church has ever had, as he has kept it in business all these years!