The 13 Goals of a Witch is taken from Scott Cunningham’s popular book Wicca for the Solitary Practitioner, so these are goals for the WICCAN witch. Not for all Witches – not all Witches are Neopagan; there are Satanic Witches and I quite confident their goals would look a bit different. Without further ado, here are the 13 Wiccan goals for a Witch.
- Know Yourself – This is the most important one. Know who you are, look into the mirror and observe who you are; with flaws and strengths, vices and virtues. You can not proceed working with the Craft without knowing what needs healing and work within yourself.
- Know Your Craft – This is not only related to what you read or find online. This is about practicing the Craft as well, the true mysteries of the Craft can not be told but must be experienced. Get to know your work, write a magickal journal and note down your meditations and divinations as well. Keep a good magickal record.
- Learn – Read all you can and then ever more! Be curious, ask questions, take notes. Find a teacher or a guide to help you understand complex topics. Listen to your inner voice and intuition. Also, remember to learn from your mistakes.
- Apply knowledge with Wisdom – Use your knowledge, not your “book-smarts”, and use it wisely. Make informed decisions and take responsibility for the path you walk upon. Keep in mind that there is no universal “truth” when it comes to the different paths of life, but listen to and respect other people’s opinions.
- Acheive Balance – Try to maintain a balance between all parts of your being; be in physical shape, be in mental shape and be in spiritual shape. Balance the dark with the light, the easy with the hard, the feminine and the masculine, the yin and the yang. However, should your health be failing – whether physically, mentally or spiritually – ALWAYS consult a professional. Always seek help for chronic pain, depression and anxieties.
- Keep your words in good order – Words have power, and this is recognized in many philosophies and religions. Be careful with your words, choose them wisely. Keep insults, lies and other negativity to a minimum.
- Keep your thoughts in good order – This, like the tenet above, mimics some very basic ideas from Buddhism, in that tradition called “Right Mindfulness”. Cultivate positive thoughts, as “we are what we think”. Also be in the here and now. Try not to dwell on the past or fear for the future. Take responsibility for every moment and every thought, and you will notice a tremendous growth as a person.
- Celebrate Life – Wicca is a life-affirming religion, focusing much more on the here and now than the after life. Be present, enjoy the moment and be thankful to be alive. Celebrate the Earth and the Cosmos!
- Attune with the Cycles of the Earth – Acknowledge and celebrate the Wheel of the Year to keep in tune with the Earth’s movement. Also honor the Moon cycles to keep in tunes with the lunar energies.
- Breathe and eat correctly – This also similar to Buddhist thought. Breathe deeply and consciously, exercise that diaphragm! Another big part is eating concsiously. Do not stress a meal. Eat and chew slowly, be aware of how every bite replenishes your energy levels.
- Exercise the body – Excerise the ENTIRE body, not just the mind with books or the spirit with rituals. Get that butt in gear. Walk, dance, do whatever you can to get that body moving. Incorporate music and dancing into your rituals. Honor the Cosmos by honoring your body.
- Meditate – Get control over that wild and crazy energy of the mind. Practice yoga. Resharpen your focus. Learn mind control techniques; passive meditations, active meditations. Meditate while doing the disches. Meditate while out running that 10K. Meditate!
- Honor the Goddess and the God – By your own existence, honor the Gods. Be a living example of their divine inspiration and their qualities. Honor yourself and others.